SubjectRe: sata_nv + SMP = broken?

Vladimir Lazarenko wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I've tried launching various kernels on Ahtlon64 Dual-core
> X2 3800+ with MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI motherboard.
>
> The results were a total catastrophica failure. As soon as I enable
> SMP in the kernel, the sata driver would randomly hang after a bit of
> disk activity.
>
> Whenever apic is enabled, the system won't even be able to boot up
> completely, and will hang VERY soon. Whenever I disable apic, the
> system is able to bootup, but when the software mirror that I use will
> try to resync for 2-3-10 mins, it will throw up a message and freeze
> again.
>
> Whenever I disable apic AND lapic, the system is able to bootup AND
> work, however after same 5-10 minutes it start spitting messages,
> which are somewhat different thou and don't hang the system completely
> but render it rather unusable anyway.
>
> As soon as I disable SMP - everything works like a charm.

For what it's worth I too have seen this same problem. It happens when I
use the stock Fedora kernels but not my custom compiled kernel. I'm not
sure what I compiled differently but at the time I thought that
something in the new kernel fixed it.

I too am running an Athlon X2 using sata_nv. I have an ASUS motherboard.
But what I noticed was that the problem went away if I used 2 gigs of
ram instead of 4 gigs. When you use the whole 4 gigs there is some
memory mapping going on and I thought perhaps the problem was related to
the sata_nv not liking the memory mapped over the 4gig barrier. I did
not try disabling SMP.

  Last update: 2005-10-21 18:18    [W:0.078 / U:0.252 seconds]