    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    On Sunday 02 October 2005 18:43, Robert Hancock wrote:
    >Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
    >> and, what is the linux kernel?
    >>
    >> it's a daft, monolithic design that is suitable and faster on
    >> single-processor systems, and that design is going to look _really_
    >> outdated, really soon.
    >
    >Well, it sounds like it works pretty well on such things as 512 CPU
    >Altix systems, so it sounds like the suggestion that Linux is designed
    >solely for single-processor systems and isn't suitable for multicore,
    >hyperthreaded CPUs doesn't hold much water..

    Ahh, yes and no, Robert. The un-answered question, for that
    512 processor Altix system, would be "but does it run things 512
    times faster?" Methinks not, by a very wide margin. Yes, do a lot
    of unrelated things fast maybe, but render a 30 megabyte page with
    ghostscript in 10 milliseconds? Never happen IMO.

    And Christoph in the next msg, calls him 1/2 drunk. He doesn't come
    across to me as being more than 1 beer drunk. And he does make some
    interesting points, so if they aren't valid, lets use proveable logic
    to shoot them down, not name calling and pointless rhetoric.

    --
    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

      Last update: 2005-10-03 01:34    [W:0.023 / U:30.976 seconds]