SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
On Sunday 02 October 2005 18:43, Robert Hancock wrote:
>Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> and, what is the linux kernel?
>> it's a daft, monolithic design that is suitable and faster on
>> single-processor systems, and that design is going to look _really_
>> outdated, really soon.
>Well, it sounds like it works pretty well on such things as 512 CPU
>Altix systems, so it sounds like the suggestion that Linux is designed
>solely for single-processor systems and isn't suitable for multicore,
>hyperthreaded CPUs doesn't hold much water..

Ahh, yes and no, Robert. The un-answered question, for that
512 processor Altix system, would be "but does it run things 512
times faster?" Methinks not, by a very wide margin. Yes, do a lot
of unrelated things fast maybe, but render a 30 megabyte page with
ghostscript in 10 milliseconds? Never happen IMO.

And Christoph in the next msg, calls him 1/2 drunk. He doesn't come
across to me as being more than 1 beer drunk. And he does make some
interesting points, so if they aren't valid, lets use proveable logic
to shoot them down, not name calling and pointless rhetoric.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
99.35% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
message by Gene Heskett are: