SubjectRe: 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 dead in early boot
From
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 02:09:06PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Helge Hafting <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no> wrote:
> >
> > This one gets me a penguin on the framebuffer, and then dies
> > with no further textual output.
> > numlock leds were working, and I could reboot with sysrq.
>
> Can we get anything useful out of sysrq-p and sysrq-t?
>
> Also, adding initcall_debug to the boot command line might help.

Tried again without the framebuffer. Still hanging, but more info:

Last messages before getting stuck:
md autorun DONE
kjournald starting
Ext3-fs mounted fs w. ordered data mode
VFS mounted root (ext3) read-only
freeing unused kernel memory 216k freed.
warning-unable to open an initial console
kernel panic-not syncing:No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Somewhat silly. There certainly was a console (vgacon) or I wouldn't
be able to read the messages. And if it mounted root, then there certainly
was an init to run also.

SYSRQ P (Omitting lots of time-consuming hex numbers, please tell
if those are really needed.)
sysrq: show regs
cpu 0
Pid:1, comm: swapper not tainted 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 #17
RIP {__delay+4}
(Omitted register dump)
Call trace:
panic+315
vgacon_cursor+0
init+543
child_rip+8
init+0
child_rip+0

SYSRQ T gave me several pages, with no scrollback. Several kernel
threads and their stack dumps. Simplified:
kedac R running task
md2 S
md3 S
md0 S
kjournald S

I can provide the full 80x50 page, but I have to write it down by hand
so only if someone actually think it will be useful.

That EDAC thing was new in rc4-mm1, compared to rc3. I am testing
another rc4-mm1 kernel without it. (menuconfig adviced me to say Y
to the new EDAC thing, so I did that initially.)

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-10-17 23:53    [W:0.262 / U:0.016 seconds]