    SubjectRe: 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 dead in early boot
    From
    On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 02:09:06PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Helge Hafting <helgehaf@aitel.hist.no> wrote:
    > >
    > > This one gets me a penguin on the framebuffer, and then dies
    > > with no further textual output.
    > > numlock leds were working, and I could reboot with sysrq.
    >
    > Can we get anything useful out of sysrq-p and sysrq-t?
    >
    > Also, adding initcall_debug to the boot command line might help.

    Tried again without the framebuffer. Still hanging, but more info:

    Last messages before getting stuck:
    md autorun DONE
    kjournald starting
    Ext3-fs mounted fs w. ordered data mode
    VFS mounted root (ext3) read-only
    freeing unused kernel memory 216k freed.
    warning-unable to open an initial console
    kernel panic-not syncing:No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

    Somewhat silly. There certainly was a console (vgacon) or I wouldn't
    be able to read the messages. And if it mounted root, then there certainly
    was an init to run also.

    SYSRQ P (Omitting lots of time-consuming hex numbers, please tell
    if those are really needed.)
    sysrq: show regs
    cpu 0
    Pid:1, comm: swapper not tainted 2.6.14-rc4-mm1 #17
    RIP {__delay+4}
    (Omitted register dump)
    Call trace:
    panic+315
    vgacon_cursor+0
    init+543
    child_rip+8
    init+0
    child_rip+0

    SYSRQ T gave me several pages, with no scrollback. Several kernel
    threads and their stack dumps. Simplified:
    kedac R running task
    md2 S
    md3 S
    md0 S
    kjournald S

    I can provide the full 80x50 page, but I have to write it down by hand
    so only if someone actually think it will be useful.

    That EDAC thing was new in rc4-mm1, compared to rc3. I am testing
    another rc4-mm1 kernel without it. (menuconfig adviced me to say Y
    to the new EDAC thing, so I did that initially.)

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-10-17 23:53    [W:0.021 / U:127.652 seconds]