    SubjectRe: VFS: file-max limit 50044 reached
    On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:42:05AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Dipankar Sarma wrote:
    >
    > > This I am not sure, it is Linus' call. I am just trying to do the
    > > right thing - fix the real problem.
    >
    > It sure looks like the batch limiter is the fundamental problem.
    >
    > Instead of limiting the batching, we should likely try to avoid the RCU
    > lists getting huge in the first place - ie do the RCU callback processing
    > more often if the list is getting longer.
    >
    > So I suspect that the _real_ fix is:
    >
    > - for 2.6.14: remove the batching limig (or just make it much higher for
    > now)

    You can remove the batching limit by making maxbatch = 0 by default.
    Just a one line patch.

    > - post-14: work on making sure rcu callbacks are done in a more timely
    > manner when the rcu queue gets long. This would involve TIF_RCUPENDING
    > and whatever else to make sure that we have timely quiescent periods,
    > and we do the RCU callback tasklet more often if the queue is long.

    Yes, I am already looking at this. There are a number approaches
    to this include adaptive algorithm to cater to naughty corner
    cases and/or adding different ways to handle RCU as in
    tree. I hope to experiment with these incrementally after 2.6.14 over
    a period of time and see what works best for most people.

    Thanks
    Dipankar

      Last update: 2005-10-17 18:29    [W:0.023 / U:30.016 seconds]