SubjectRe: [patch 0/8] Nesting class_device patches that actually work
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:45:54AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> [...]
> > > path of the device in the DEVPATH and a "classsification symlink" in
> > > /sys/class. The input devices are all clearly modeled in its hierarchy,
> > > in /sys/devices but we also get clean class interfaces:
> > >

> > Kay eased my task by enumerating all issues I have with Greg's
> > approach. Not all the world is udev and not all class devices have
> > "/dev" represetation so haveing one program being able to understand
> > new sysfs hierarchy is not enough IHMO.
> >
> > However I do not think that "moving" class devices into /sys/devices
> > hierarchy is the right solution either because one physical device
> > could easily end up belonging to several classes.
>
> Sure, than that physical (while that distinction is silly by itself)
> will just have several child devices. Look at the mouse0 and event0 in
> the ascii drawing.
>
> > I recenty got an
> > e-mail from Adam Belay (whom I am pulling into the discussion)
> > regarding his desire to rearrange net/wireless representation. I think
> > it would be quite natural to have /sys/class/net/interfaces and
> > /sys/class/net/wireless /sys/class/net/irda, and /sys/class/net/wired
> > subclasses where "interfaces" would enumerate _all_ network interfaces
> > in the system, and the rest would show only devices of their class.
>
> That solution would keep a better device separation, sure. But it
> is completely incompatible with everything we ever had in sysfs and
> nobody wants to rewrite _all_ userspace programs.
>
> It invents artificial subclass names below a "master" class, which
> is absolutely not needed.
>
> It creates the magic "interfaces" directory, which is confusing, cause
> it classifies devices by itself.
>
> It doesn't represent any relationship and hierarchy of devices and
> adding a forest of magic symlinks and "device" pointers is a very
> bad design. The proposed "inter-class" symlinks make it even harder
> to understand sysfs as it already is.
>
> The biggest problem with current sysfs is that the driver hacker has to
> decide if the device is "hardware" or "virtual" which in a lot of
> cases just can't tell and this distiction doesn't make any sense today.
>
> All the more complex subsystems use "virtual buses" and an unconnected
> bunch of class-devices to model its sysfs represention, which is just
> to work around a major design flaw in sysfs!
> We really should get _one_ device tree with its natural hierarchy, get
> rid of the stupid "device"-link, the PHYSDEVPATH and the unconnected
> class devices. Every device should just carry its dependency tree in
> it _own_ devpath!
>
> I'm very sure, we want a unified tree in /sys/devices, regardless of the type
> of device, to represent the global hierarchy wich is exactly what you want to
> know from a device tree!
> That way we stack "virtual" _and_ "physical" in a sane manner and at the same
> time get very clean class interfaces. We would stop to mix up "hierarchy" and

Sorry, my previous drawing wasn't correct for the input devices.

Here is a new picture of the:
- all classes are unique and flat and will stay the same,
even when the hierarchy of the devices changes
- all hierarchy is _only_ in /sys/devices
- virtual and physical devices are both in /sys/devices
proposal.

/sys
|-- class
| |-- block
| | `-- sda -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/sda
| |-- block_partition
| | |-- sda1 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/sda/sda1
| | `-- sda2 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/sda/sda2
| |-- pci
| | `-- 0000:00:1f.2 -> ../../devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2
| |-- input
| | |-- mice -> ../../devices/mice
| | |-- mouse0 -> ../../devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input0/mouse0
| | `-- event0 -> ../../devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input0/event0
| |-- input_device
| | `-- input0 -> ../../devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input0
| `-- tty
| `-- console -> ../../devices/console

|-- devices
| |-- pci0000:00
| | `-- 0000:00:1f.2
| | |-- class -> ../../../class/pci
| | |-- config
| | |-- device
| | |-- host0
| | | `-- target0:0:0
| | | |-- 0:0:0:0
| | | `-- power
| | | `-- state
| | |-- modalias
| | |-- resource
| | |-- subsystem_device
| | |-- subsystem_vendor
| | `-- vendor
| |-- platform
| | `-- i8042
| | `-- serio0
| | `-- input0
| | |-- event0
| | | `-- dev
| | |-- mouse0
| | | `-- dev
| | |-- bind_mode
| | |-- description
| | |-- id
| | | |-- extra
| | | |-- id
| | | |-- proto
| | | `-- type
| | |-- modalias
| | |-- protocol
| | |-- rate
| | |-- resetafter
| | `-- resolution
| |-- mice
| | `-- dev

Thanks,
Kay

  Last update: 2005-10-14 14:23    [W:0.181 / U:0.020 seconds]