SubjectRe: Fwd: Telecom Clock Driver for MPCBL0010 ATCA computer blade
On 10/14/05, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 12:47:21AM +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> > Ick, no, that's a mess. Stick with the original version.
> >
> >Don't call functions within a if() statement, it's harder to read.
> direct to me only? What about everyone on the list?

Whoops, wrong button - sorry. Let's copy LKML.

> > I guess you are right - it /would/ save a variable though ;)
>
> Not worth it. Ease of maintainability, which means being able to read
> the code better, trumps a single variable on a slow path.

Hmm, yeah, I can see the sense in that - if it's not performance
critical, better make it readable.

> > > Because you want to cast it.
> > >
> > Ok, I'm feeling a little dense tonight, so bear with me please, but
> > wouldn't the effect of reading into the unsigned char (and potentially
> > getting the value truncated) result in the same thing as casting it
> > later?
>
> I don't think it would be the same if you put a large value in the
> string. Try it out and see.

Ok, I must admit I haven't actually tested it, perhaps I will tomorrow
after I get some sleep.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>