    SubjectRe: [discuss] [Patch 1/2] x86, x86_64: Intel HT, Multi core detection fixes
    On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 11:49:04PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > On Wednesday 12 October 2005 23:36, Siddha, Suresh B wrote:
    > > Fields obtained through cpuid vector 0x1(ebx[16:23]) and
    > > vector 0x4(eax[14:25], eax[26:31]) indicate the maximum values and might not
    > > always be the same as what is available and what OS sees. So make sure
    > > "siblings" and "cpu cores" values in /proc/cpuinfo reflect the values as seen
    > > by OS instead of what cpuid instruction says. This will also fix the buggy BIOS
    > > cases (for example where cpuid on a single core cpu says there are "2" siblings,
    > > even when HT is disabled in the BIOS.
    > >
    > I'm not too fond of this new booted_core variable. How about
    > you just put the true number of cores into x86_num_cores?
    > What should x86_num_cores be in your setup anyways if not
    > "booted cores"?

    x86_num_cores (cpuid returned value) is required while right shifting the
    apicid to get the core-id and the package-id. booted_cores will indicate
    how many cores actually cameup. x86_num_cores can differ from "booted cores"
    in these scenarios

    a) x86_num_cores may not be '1' when multi-core is disabled in the BIOS
    b) "maxcpus=" kernel boot param
    c) logical hotplug

    > Also I must admit the number of different variables to keep
    > track of multicore and siblingness starts to become mindboggling,
    > so I would recommend you add a fat overview comment somewhere
    > that describes their definition and relationship. Or better put
    > something into Documentation, it is probably as confusing for
    > user space /proc/cpuinfo consumer too.

    I will send a new documentation patch.

      Last update: 2005-10-13 00:22    [W:0.020 / U:14.936 seconds]