SubjectRe: [discuss] Re: [Patch] x86, x86_64: Intel HT, Multi core detection code cleanup
On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:28:38PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

> > > I think you overdid the sharing. Can you limit it to one file
> > > and copy the stuff that doesn't fit easily?
> >
> > Andi, This stuff is very much common to x86 and x86_64. Shared code is
> > split into two files because setting up sibling map code is generic and
> > HT/core detection code is very specific to Intel.
> >
> > How about the appended patch?
>
> I would prefer if the Intel CPU detection support wasn't distributed over so
> many small files. If you prefer to share it put it all into a single file and
> share that. But please only for code that can be cleanly shared without
> ifdefs.

Lets defer this code sharing to some other time. I want to make sure that
-mm tree (and finally 2.6.15) picks up these enhancements first, before
I start my vacation :)

> Also in general it would be better if you first did the cleanup and then
> as separate patches the various functionality enhancements.That makes
> the changes easier to be reviewed and it helps in binary search when something
> goes wrong.

I am going to send two follow up patches which addresses the functionality
enhancements.

thanks,
suresh

  Last update: 2005-10-12 23:33    [W:0.054 / U:0.368 seconds]