    From: linux-raid-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-raid-owner@vger.kernel.org]On Behalf Of Lukasz Kosewski
    Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 8:01 AM
    To: Andrew Walrond
    Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; Molle Bestefich; htejun@gmail.com;
    linux-raid@vger.kernel.org; Jeff Garzik
    Subject: Re: Anybody know about nforce4 SATA II hot swapping + linux raid?

    On 10/8/05, Andrew Walrond <andrew@walrond.org> wrote:
    > The lack of hot swapping does seem to be a serious weakness in linux, at
    least
    > for resilient server applications. It would really complete the linux raid
    > picture, and make it quite compelling.
    >
    > But I'm in no position to do it myself; I can only hope this thread
    inspires
    > some capable person to plug the gap :)

    Hey Andrew,

    I've actually been working on implementing the core set of routines
    that will allow for hot-swapping SATA drives in Linux. The core is
    not quite ready yet, but you can expect the next iteration within the
    week. Once the core is integrated, someone will have to implement
    capturing hotswap events on the nForce4 SATA controller, and using the
    core functions. I don't know how long that will take, but if the
    Linux SATA maintainer, Jeff Garzik (CCed on this email) knows how to
    do it, then it might be just a few weeks' time.

    That said, if you want to use this for servers you might still want to
    wait a bit before committing your resources to this :)

    Luke Kosewski