    SubjectRe: Need for SHIFT and MASK
    On 10/10/05, Vivek Kutal <> wrote:
    > > And as far as SHIFT, MASK, SIZE macros are concerned they are used in
    > > creating Page Translation Tables and also used to get the translation
    > > from linear to physical
    > how are these macros used to create page translation tables (functions
    > like pgd_alloc(), pmd_alloc() & pte_alloc() are used for this
    > purpose)and the translation (virtual/linear to physical)is done by
    > the processor and not by the OS.

    Actually I don't mean by mentioning "SHIFT, MASK, SZIE macros are used
    in creating Page Translation Table" that you will see them in
    pgd_alloc() etc but they are used in many memory initialization
    fucntions at the boot time ...... and for example look !!!!!! These
    Macros are might be there for the compatibility reasons tooo as you
    can see the PAGE_SIZE can be changed but if you use PAGE_SIZE in every
    module/place you won't be concerned about the actual size of the page
    at that moment or in Architecture ...........

    Fawad Lateef

      Last update: 2005-10-10 18:52    [W:0.020 / U:24.612 seconds]