    SubjectRe: Need for SHIFT and MASK
    On 10/10/05, Vivek Kutal <vivek.kutal@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > And as far as SHIFT, MASK, SIZE macros are concerned they are used in
    > > creating Page Translation Tables and also used to get the translation
    > > from linear to physical
    >
    > how are these macros used to create page translation tables (functions
    > like pgd_alloc(), pmd_alloc() & pte_alloc() are used for this
    > purpose)and the translation (virtual/linear to physical)is done by
    > the processor and not by the OS.

    Actually I don't mean by mentioning "SHIFT, MASK, SZIE macros are used
    in creating Page Translation Table" that you will see them in
    pgd_alloc() etc but they are used in many memory initialization
    fucntions at the boot time ...... and for example look
    http://lxr.linux.no/source/arch/i386/mm/init.c#L207 !!!!!! These
    Macros are might be there for the compatibility reasons tooo as you
    can see the PAGE_SIZE can be changed but if you use PAGE_SIZE in every
    module/place you won't be concerned about the actual size of the page
    at that moment or in Architecture ...........

    --
    Fawad Lateef