SubjectRe: [Xen-devel] Re: [XEN] using shmfs for swapspace
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 09:05:13AM -0500, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Mark Williamson wrote:
>
> >>for doing opportunistic page recycling ("I dont need this page but when
> >>I ask for it back please tell me if you trashed the content")
> >
> >We've talked about doing this but AFAIK nobody has gotten round to it
> >yet because there hasn't been a pressing need (IIRC, it was on the todo
> >list when Xen 1.0 came out).
> >
> >IMHO, it doesn't look terribly difficult but would require (hopefully
> >small) modifications to the architecture independent code, plus a little
> >bit of support code in Xen.
>
> The architecture independant changes are fine, since
> they're also useful for S390(x), PPC64 and UML...
>
> >I'd quite like to look at this one fine day but I suspect there are more
> >useful things I should do first...
>
> I wonder if the same effect could be achieved by just
> measuring the VM pressure inside the guests and
> ballooning the guests as required, letting them grow
> and shrink with their workloads.

mem = 64M-128M
target = 64M

"if needed, grow me to 128mb but if not, whittle down to 64".

mem=64M-128
target=128M

"if you absolutely have to, steal some of my memory, but don't nick
any more than 64M".

i'm probably going to have to "manually" implement something like this.

l.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.081 / U:0.052 seconds]