    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    >> anyone who assumes that just becouse the kernel is in the stable series
    >> they can blindly upgrade their production systems is just dreaming.
    > I was not thinking about a "blindly upgrade".
    > But the question is if you compile and test a kernel, is it every
    > unlikely or relatively common to observe new problems?

    in my experiance the answer is very unlikely, and about as likely as I got
    used to during the 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4 series (the 2.4 series had some time
    when it was significantly worse). while I used 1.2 and 0. series kernels
    I didn't follow them well enough to comment on that timeframe.

    in every series there have been versions that didn't work, sometimes
    spectacularly, but in every series the later versions tend to fix far more
    then it breaks. I have been burned severely by development series kernels
    and had the same problems as everyone else with the first few 2.0, 2.2,
    and 2.4 series kernels, but I didn't run into the as many problems with

    for those who are concerned about the quality of the 2.6 kernels I'd
    suggest that you don't judge exclusivly by the comments to the list, try
    them yourself.

    as far as removing features goes, personally I have a lot of boxes useing
    ipchains instead of iptables, even on 2.6 kernels and will be very unhappy
    if that compatability is removed, but at the same time I'm willing to hold
    off my screaming until Linus actually removes features. the netfilter
    folks can plan all they want to remove the compatability, but they can't
    force Linus to accept the patch that does the removal.

    remember that according to some people 2.6.0 wasn't supposed to support
    anything compiled in, everythign was going to be a module, with much of
    the hardware detection removed from the kernel and put into code running
    on initrd or similar.

    that didn't happenand I'm willing to lay good odds that removing a feature
    just becouse it's 'old' isn't very likly either. if there are problems
    with a feature and nobody cares about it enough to fix it then the feature
    may be removed, but if it affects a lot of people then it's likly that
    someone will step up to do the maintinance.

    if you want another example, look at reiserfs, Hans wants no new
    development done on version 3 becouse version 4 is available and is better
    in all ways. I believe that Hans would like to have version 3 removed and
    replaced with version 4 (with a utility to do the conversion between the
    two), but there are a lot of people who want to keep useing version 3 and
    as a result version 3 is maintained and updated.

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.026 / U:90.028 seconds]