    SubjectRe: Open hardware wireless cards
    Date
    Err, music, computers: Just spend a lot of time to get a series of thin
    clients running sound over a DSL network (now in testing phase, need to solve
    some network problems first :-( )

    I think the idea for a good sound card is good too, I am only thinking
    different about the manufacturing. Ordering 100 cards is not going to be
    attractive in any way with price, then just use the conexant wrappers for
    windows drivers, and run your card that way. GPL is one issue, wallet content
    is the next following important issue.
    Wireless cards have to go cheaper all the time. One way to scrape of another
    50cents of the manufacturing cost is by using an open developed card en
    driver. That way the card will lie in many stores and is easily obtainable
    for everybody.
    The extra encryption will get the phreaks on board with it, so spreading the
    idea of open source development even further, plus it is also a show and tell
    to the market like: Open source groups are innovative, and not just copycats
    who want everything for free (like in wallet content).

    On Thursday 06 January 2005 21:40, you wrote:
    > On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 20:06 +0100, Norbert van Nobelen wrote:
    > > My personal opinion
    > > Sound is mainly integrated on boards. Since developing a high end card is
    > > not an easy job, and the market is pretty small for that (enough
    > > competition), I think the wireless card is not too weird to do
    >
    > Yeah but that's all useless to pro audio users. And the market for pro
    > audio hardware is a lot more like the general pro audio gear market than
    > the computer hardware market. Lower volume, much higher margins.
    >
    > Compared to the open video card project, this should be a no brainer,
    > and that seems to be taking off...
    >
    > > Plus wireless is hot. What we can do is implement the standard and add a
    > > little extra once we are done with that, linux a nice encryption layer
    > > for linux to linux communication, thus giving linux (or a windowsbox with
    > > the right drivers), a nice edge.
    >
    > There's a standard for audio-over-firewire but it's inadequate (no
    > routing/connection management) so you can't just implement it.

    Firewire or USB: I do not care for an antenna for the simple reason that I
    just want a powercord (-:

    --
    small to medium business in The Netherlands and Belgium</a>