SubjectRe: Cherokee Nation Posts Open Source Legisation - Invites comments from Community Members
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 12:37:25 CST, root said:

> It's based on the design of the license. Under Cherokee Nation Law, you
> can have and claim trade secrets in public code released under a public
> license. This makes it very easy for individual contributors to
> enforce their rights in the US. We spent months researching this, and yes,
> it holds up under our laws.

You will have trouble with "rights in the US", because of the definition of
"trade secret" includes 18 USC 1839 (3):

(3) the term "trade secret" means all forms and types of financial,
business, scientific, technical, economic, or engineering information,
including patterns, plans, compilations, program devices, formulas, designs,
prototypes, methods, techniques, processes, procedures, programs, or codes,
whether tangible or intangible, and whether or how stored, compiled, or
memorialized physically, electronically, graphically, photographically, or in
writing if --

(A) the owner thereof has taken reasonable measures to keep such information secret; and

(B) the information derives independent economic value, actual or potential,
from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable through
proper means by, the public; and

You'll have a hard time convincing a jury not on the reservation that publishing
something as open source is at all a "reasonable measure to keep it secret".

In fact, you're going to have a hard time - if you're not a sovereign nation,
then 18 USC 1839 will trump your law. And if you *are* a sovereign nation,
you better get some lobbyists that can read and understand the implications
of 19 USC 2242(a)(1)(A) and/or 19 USC 2242(b)(1).....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.099 / U:1.672 seconds]