    SubjectRe: Prezeroing V3 [2/4]: Extension of clear_page to take an order parameter
    On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> writes:
    >
    > > Here is an updated version that is independent of the first patch and
    > > contains all the necessary modifications to make clear_page take a second
    > > parameter.
    >
    > I still think the clear_page order addition is completely pointless,
    > because for > order 0 you probably want a cache bypassing store
    > in a separate function.

    I would think that having clear_page avoid loading cache
    lines from memory should be general improvement.

    Bypassing the cache may be beneficial for clear_page in general but I
    would like to test that first.

    If this is not a win then it may be better to implement the bypassing the
    cache through a zero driver.

    > Removing it would also make the patch much less intrusive.

    Right. I also thought about that. I will likely offer the clear_page patch
    as an optional component in V4. Being able to specify an order with
    clear_page also helps in other situations like clearing huge pages.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.019 / U:33.040 seconds]