SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
Date
On 4 Jan 2005, at 07:36, Al Viro wrote:

>>> So buy some Operating System that supports the propritary software of
>>> your choice but stop annoying us.
>>
>> That's what he did. But it was not written in the notice that it
>> could stop
>> working at any time :-)
>
> Do you want a long list of message-IDs going way, way back? Ones of
> Linus'
> postings saying that there never had been any promise whatsoever of
> in-kernel
> interfaces staying unchanged...

I don't pretend that kernel interfaces stay written in stone, for
ages. What I would like is that, at least, those interfaces were stable
enough, let's say for a few months for a stable kernel series, so I
don't have to keep bothering my propietary VMWare vendor to fix the
problems for me, since the new kernel interface broke VMWare. Yeah, I
know I could decide not to upgrade kernels in last instance, but that's
not always possible.

If kernel interfaces need to be changed for whatever reason, change
them in 2.7, -mm, -ac or whatever tree first, and let the community
know beforehand what those changes will be, and be prepared to adapt.
Meanwhile, try to leave 2.6 as stable as possible.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.267 / U:0.928 seconds]