SubjectRe: libata PATA support - work items?
Eric Mudama wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:42:33 +0800, Albert Lee <albertcc@tw.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. C/H/S addressing; libata currently hardcoded to use LBA
>

> Are there really people who want to run a newer 2.4 or a 2.6 kernel,
> who have disks that do not support LBA mode? CHS will never address
> more than 32GB of the drive (unless you use vendor unique
> implementations) and heck, most companies don't even build drives that
> small anymore... CHS is very messy, LBA is so much simpler. Can we
> just stick with that?

Well....... :)

Originally when I started libata, I targetted it at modern PCI IDE BMDMA
(i.e. Intel ICH4-like) controllers, with an eye towards FIS-based
controllers such as Intel AHCI or SiI 3124.

As a result, I intentionally hardcoded several things such as LBA
support, when writing libata.

Over time, I have consistently seen these "hardcode it" decisions
reversed, and the hardcoding removed, mainly to add support for
controllers that are an existing PATA chip (with no SATA modifications)
glued next to a PATA->SATA transparent bridge. These controllers
essentially require PATA support. Also, in the community, Bart, Alan
Cox, and others (hi Albert) have been interested in supporting some PATA
controllers with libata.

So while my original intention with libata was "Bart does the IDE driver
for PATA, and I do the IDE driver for SATA", and make a clean break, it
seems that libata is moving more and more towards eventually having full
PATA support for many controllers, with all that entails.

So, that said, I think it is important for libata to fully support PATA,
if it is to support it at all. That means handling the errata that Alan
always bugs me about, and that means handling C/H/S support as well.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.488 / U:0.160 seconds]