    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:57:25AM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:53:01PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > > My opinion is to fork 2.7 pretty soon and to allow into 2.6 only the
    > > amount of changes that were allowed into 2.4 after 2.5 forked.
    > > Looking at 2.4, this seems to be a promising model.
    >
    > This must be considered relative to the size of the source code.
    > Just because they're more changes than you can personally track does
    > not mean they're large numbers of changes relative to the source's size.
    >
    > Users' timidity in these regards should be taken as little more than
    > a sign that the scale of the kernel's source is increasing, which is a
    > good thing, as the kernel may then benefit from economies of scale.
    >
    > The kernel's scale has long since increased beyond the point where an
    > individual can effectively track its changes in realtime, and small
    > matters of degree such as are being moaned about now are insubstantial.
    > Similarly, counts of bugs and regressions should probably also be
    > considered relative to the size of the kernel source.

    William, I strongly agree with you regarding this (fortunately, it seems to
    happen sometimes :-))

    Speaking for myself, I read and try to understand *all* the changelog of 2.4
    pre releases, and even often take a look at linux.bkbits.net to see if some
    things have changed, that I could grab before waiting for a release, but I
    almost never read 2.6 changelog (except the first hundreds of lines that Linus
    announces with a final release), because it's far too much. I don't even know
    how some people still keep in touch with this amount of changes.

    Cheers,
    Willy

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:4.080 / U:0.072 seconds]