    SubjectPipes and fd question. Large amounts of data.
    A Unix C programming question. Has to do mostly with pipes, so I am hoping I
    am asking in the right place.

    I have a rather unique situation. I have 2 programs, neither of which have
    control over.
    Program A writes into TWO fifo's.
    Program B reads from two fifo's.

    My program is the middle step.

    The problem - neither programs are aware of each other, and write into any of
    the fifo's at their own free will. They will also block until whatever data
    moving they did is complete.

    Meaning, if I were to use the direct approach and have no middle step, the
    programs would be thrown into a deadlock instantly. as one program will write
    info fifo 1, and the other will be reading from fifo 2.

    The amounts of data is very large, GB's of data in total, and at least 10mb a
    second or possibly as much as 300mb a second. So efficiency in context
    switching is very important.

    programs A & B both write and read using large chunks, usually 300k.

    So far, my solution is using select() and non blocking pipes. I also used
    large buffers (20mb). In my measurements, at worst case the programs
    write/read 6mb before switching to the other fifo. so 20mb is safe enough.

    I have implemented this, but it has a major disadvantage - every 'write()'
    only write 4k at a time, never more, because of how non-blocking pipes are
    done. at 20,000 context switches a second, this method reaches barely 10mb a
    second, if not less.

    Blocking pipes have an advantage - they can write large chunks at a time. They
    have a more serious disadvantage though - the amount of data you ask to be
    written/read, IS the amount of data that will be written or read, and will
    block until that much data is moved. I cannot know beforehand exactly how
    much data the programs want, so this could easily fall into a dead lock.

    Ideally, I could do this:
    my program: write(20mb);
    program B: read(300k);
    my program: write() returns with return value '300,000'

    I was unable to find anything like this solution or similar.
    No combination of blocking/non blocking fd's will give this, or any system
    I am looking for alternative/better suggestions.

    - ods15.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:10    [W:0.020 / U:9.712 seconds]