SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
Date
Hi,

On Monday 03 January 2005 14:24, Diego Calleja wrote:

> I fully agree with WLI that the 2.4 development model and the
> backporting-mania created more problems than it solved, because in the real
> world almost everybody uses what distros ship, and what distros ship isn't
> kernel.org but heavily modified kernels, which means that the kernel.org
> was not really "well-tested" or it took much longer to become "well-tested"
> because it wasn't really being used.

Backporting isn't the primary problem. The real problem were the huge time
intervals between stable releases. A new stable release brings a huge amount
of changes which got different levels of testing, which makes upgrading quite
an experience.
What we need are regular releases of stable kernels with a manageable amount
of changes and a development tree to pull these changes from. It's a bit
comparable to Debian testing/unstable. Changes go only from one tree to the
other if they fulfil certain criteria. The job of the stable tree maintainer
wouldn't be anymore to apply random patches sent to him, but to select
instead which patches to pull from the development tree.
This doesn't of course guarantees perfectly stable kernels, but it would
encourage more people to run recent stable kernels and avoids the huge steps
in kernel upgrades. The only problem is that I don't know of any source code
management system which supports this kind of development reasonably easy...

bye, Roman

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.244 / U:0.236 seconds]