    SubjectRe: FAT, NTFS, CIFS and DOS attributes
    tridge@samba.org wrote:

    > That API would make sense, but I didn't really expect the kernel to
    > provide it. What I expected to happen was for Samba4 to use the xattr
    > blobs like it does now, hopefully for Wine to learn to interpret those
    > same blobs, for backup/restore apps to learn to backup/restore them
    > (as blobs, with no interpretation) and for the proposed Samba LSM
    > module to do the dirty work of interpreting the contents of these
    > blobs in-kernel to provide raceless windows file serving.

    Right, but here we're talking about exposing the guts of a DOS-based
    filesystem so they can be manipulated by an application which isn't
    necessarily a bulk file handler. The API doesn't really work for that,
    especially since some of the attributes have different access properties
    from the others.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.023 / U:147.976 seconds]