    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
    > On 3 Jan 2005, at 22:48, Rik van Riel wrote:
    >> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

    >>> Unfortunately, you can't force the entire hardware industry to open up
    >>> their drivers.
    >> That's ok. I don't have to buy that hardware.
    > Gosh! I bought an ATI video card, I bought a VMware license, etc.... I
    > want to keep using them.

    That's your choice, and you (and your vendors) will have to
    deal with the issues. I don't see why we should hold back
    the development of Linux for it...

    > Changing a "stable" kernel will continuously annoy users and vendors.

    On the other hand, not having a feature users need available
    in a stable kernel also annoys users and vendors. During the
    2.4 days this lead to every distribution needing to do a bunch
    of backports from the 2.5 kernel, and the availability of 2.4
    kernels with every possible subset of 2.5 features - but none
    with all the features. Arguably, that is a much worse situation
    for users and vendors than a faster-changing 2.6 tree, where at
    least everybody is using the same tree.

    You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.024 / U:4.984 seconds]