SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Horst von Brand wrote:

> "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > The real key, as always, is getting users to download and test a
> > release. So another approach might be to shorten the time between
> > 2.6.x and 2.6.x+1 releases, so as to recreate more testing points,
> > without training people to wait for -bk1, -bk2, -rc1, etc. before
> > trying out the kernel code. This is the model that we used with the
> > 2.3.x series, where the time between releases was often quite short.
> > That worked fairly well, but we stopped doing it when the introduction
> > of BitKeeper eliminated the developer synch-up problem. But perhaps
> > we've gone too far between 2.6.x releases, and should shorten the time
> > in order to force more testing.
>
> Is there any estimate of the number of daily-straight-from-BK users? I'm
> one, haven't seen any trouble (thus silent up to here).

I'm another. Every morning when I turn on my machine I grab the latest
-bk, build it with my usual config, install that kernel and reboot, then
use that as my "kernel of the day". I do this on both my home and work
box (well, the work box only does this on mondays) and I've had very
little trouble so far.

--
Jesper Juhl