    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@mit.edu> said:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > > The real key, as always, is getting users to download and test a
    > > release. So another approach might be to shorten the time between
    > > 2.6.x and 2.6.x+1 releases, so as to recreate more testing points,
    > > without training people to wait for -bk1, -bk2, -rc1, etc. before
    > > trying out the kernel code. This is the model that we used with the
    > > 2.3.x series, where the time between releases was often quite short.
    > > That worked fairly well, but we stopped doing it when the introduction
    > > of BitKeeper eliminated the developer synch-up problem. But perhaps
    > > we've gone too far between 2.6.x releases, and should shorten the time
    > > in order to force more testing.
    >
    > Is there any estimate of the number of daily-straight-from-BK users? I'm
    > one, haven't seen any trouble (thus silent up to here).

    I'm another. Every morning when I turn on my machine I grab the latest
    -bk, build it with my usual config, install that kernel and reboot, then
    use that as my "kernel of the day". I do this on both my home and work
    box (well, the work box only does this on mondays) and I've had very
    little trouble so far.

    --
    Jesper Juhl