SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
Bill Davidsen <> said:

> I have to say that with a few minor exceptions the introduction of new
> features hasn't created long term (more than a few days) of problems. And
> we have had that in previous stable versions as well. New features
> themselves may not be totally stable, but in most cases they don't break
> existing features, or are fixed in bk1 or bk2. What worries me is removing
> features deliberately, and I won't beat that dead horse again, I've said
> my piece.
> The "few minor exceptions:"
> SCSI command filtering - while I totally support the idea (and always
> have), I miss running cdrecord as a normal user. Multisession doesn't work
> as a normal user (at least if you follow the man page) because only root
> can use -msinfo. There's also some raw mode which got a permission denied,
> don't remember as I was trying something not doing production stuff.

It had very nasty security problems. After a short discussion here, it was
deemed much more important to have a secure system than a (very minor)
convenience. AFAIU, the patch was backported to 2.4 (or should be ASAP).

> APM vs. ACPI - shutdown doesn't reliably power down about half of the
> machines I use, and all five laptops have working suspend and non-working
> resume. APM seems to be pretty unsupported beyond "use ACPI for that."

Many never machines just don't have APM.

> None of these would prevent using 2.6 if there were some feature not in
> 2.4 which gave a reason to switch.

Like 2.6 works fine, 2.4 has no chance on some machines?
Dr. Horst H. von Brand User #22616

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.242 / U:7.020 seconds]