    SubjectRe: kernel oops!

    On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, ierdnah wrote:
    > the last patch works, but the load increases very much (normally with
    > 200 VPN connections I have a load of maximum 10, with this patch I have
    > a load of 50-100 - after 30 min of uptime)

    Yeah, that "tty_ldisc_try()" is pretty expensive, and it really would be
    worth trying to get both sides of the tty at the same time, since with my
    patch in place it has to get that "tty_ldisc_lock" four times (and disable
    interrupts etc - twice for getting the lock, twice for releasing it).

    I'm surprised that it makes _that_ much of a difference, but it sounds
    like you used to be borderline on CPU usage before, and this just made it
    much worse.

    One option is to instead of locking both master and slave on use in the
    pty side, lock both when _changing_ the ldisc instead. That's the rare
    case. Much more complex, though.

    Alan, any clever ideas?

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.029 / U:0.716 seconds]