SubjectRe: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> pretty much the only criticism of the RT-CPU patch was that the global
> sysctl is too rigid and that it doesnt allow privileged tasks to ignore
> the limit. I've uploaded a new RT-CPU-limit patch that solves this
> problem:
>
> http://redhat.com/~mingo/rt-limit-patches/
>
> i've removed the global sysctl and implemented a new rlimit,
> RT_CPU_RATIO: the maximum amount of CPU time RT tasks may use, in
> percent. For testing purposes it defaults to 80%.
>
> the RT-limit being an rlimit makes it much more configurable: root tasks
> can have unlimited CPU time limit, while users could have a more
> conservative setting of say 30%. This also makes it per-process and
> runtime configurable as well. The scheduler will instantly act upon any
> new RT_CPU_RATIO rlimit.
>
> (this approach is fundamentally different from the previous patch that
> made the "maximum RT-priority available to an unprivileged task" value
> an rlimit - with priorities being an rlimit we still havent made RT
> priorities safe against deadlocks.)
>
> multiple tasks can have different rlimits as well, and the scheduler
> interprets it the following way: it maintains a per-CPU "RT CPU use"
> load-average value and compares it against the per-task rlimit. If e.g.
> the task says "i'm in the 60% range" and the current average is 70%,
> then the scheduler delays this RT task - if the next task has an 80%
> rlimit then it will be allowed to run. This logic is straightforward and
> can be used as a further control mechanism against runaway highprio RT
> tasks.
>
> other properties of the RT_CPU_RATIO rlimit:
>
> - if there's idle time in the system then RT tasks will be
> allowed to use more than the limit.
>
> - if an RT task goes above the limit all the time then there
> is no guarantee that exactly the limit will be allowed for
> it. (i.e. you should set the limit to somewhat above the real
> needs of the RT task in question.)
>
> - a zero RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO value means unlimited CPU time to that
> RT task. If the task is not an RT task then it may not change to RT
> priority. (i.e. a zero value makes it fully compatible with previous
> RT scheduling semantics.)
>
> - a nonzero rt_cpu_limit value also has the effect of allowing
> the use of RT priorities to nonprivileged users.
>
> - on SMP the limit is measured and enforced per-CPU.
>
> - runtime overhead is minimal, especially if the limit is set to 0.
>
> - the CPU-use measurement code has a 'memory' of roughly 300 msecs.
> I.e. if an RT task runs 100 msecs nonstop then it will increase
> its CPU use by about 30%. This should be fast enough for users for
> the limit to be human-inperceptible, but slow enough to allow
> occasional longer timeslices to RT tasks.

As I understand this (and I may be wrong), the intention is that if a
task has its RT_CPU_RATIO rlimit set to a value greater than zero then
setting its scheduling policy to SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO is allowed.
This causes me to ask the following questions:

1. Why is current->signal->rlim[RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO].rlim_cur being used
in setscheduler() instead of p->signal->rlim[RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO].rlim_cur?

2. What stops a task that had a non zero RT_CPU_RATIO rlimit and changed
its policy to SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO from then setting RT_CPU_RATIO
rlimit back to zero and escaping the controls? As far as I can see
(and, once again, I may be wrong) the mechanism for setting rlimits only
requires CAP_SYS_RESOURCE privileges in order to increase the value.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@bigpond.net.au

-- Ambrose Bierce