SubjectRe: inter_module_get and __symbol_get
Date
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:58:29 -0800,
David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> Keith> Does DRM support this model?
>
> Keith> * Start DRM without AGP.
> Keith> * AGP is loaded.
> Keith> * DRM continues but now using AGP.
>
> Keith> If yes then it needs dynamic symbol resolution.
>
>I think it does, but I don't see any advantages to it (not on the
>machines I'm using, at least). In fact, I'd rather have an explicit
>dependency on AGP.

No argument from me :). I have always hated the dynamic resolution
model used by DRM/AGP and (originally) MTD.

I have a very dim and distant memory from about 6 years ago that
somebody wanted the ability to run DRM with and without AGP support.
IOW, the decision about whether to load AGP or not was left to the
user, instead of AGP always being automatically loaded by modprobe.
Again this comes down to static vs. dynamic symbol resolution.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.070 / U:0.576 seconds]