    SubjectRe: DVD burning still have problems
    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:44:06 +0000, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    > On Llu, 2005-01-24 at 20:45, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > > I've got several reports like this that only happen with ACPI, and one
    > > > user whose burns report fine but are corrupted if ACPI is allowed to do
    > > > power manglement.
    > >
    > > Really weird, I cannot begin to explain that. Perhaps the two reporters
    > > in this thread can try it as well?
    >
    > I can sort of guess - the CPU frequency changes (either from ACPI or
    > perhaps also from cpuspeed if in use ?) involve the CPU disconnecting
    > from the bus and reconnecting. There is much magic involved in this and
    > there are certainly chipset and CPU errata in this area.

    Well, booted into 2.6.11-rc2-bk2 (ACPI config'd out) and my
    first growisofs session decided to die at 60% with the usual EIO :/

    The fun thing is that retrying now shows growisofs calling a
    HUGE amount of these babies...

    [root@donkey tmpburn]# strace -p 2337
    ioctl(5, SG_IO, 0xbffff7d8) = 0
    ioctl(5, SG_IO, 0xbffff7d8) = 0
    ioctl(5, SG_IO <unfinished ...>
    Process 2337 detached
    [root@donkey tmpburn]# strace -c -p 2337
    Process 2337 attached - interrupt to quit
    Process 2337 detached
    % time seconds usecs/call calls errors syscall
    ------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
    100.00 7.762805 239 32445 ioctl
    ------ ----------- ----------- --------- --------- ----------------
    100.00 7.762805 32445 total

    while sitting in its initial prompt:

    [root@donkey tmpburn]# growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=myfile.iso
    WARNING: /dev/hdc already carries isofs!
    About to execute 'builtin_dd if=myfile.iso of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
    Sleeping for 0 sec...

    It looks like every kernel has its own :(

    --alessandro

    "And every dream, every, is just a dream after all"

    (Heather Nova, "Paper Cup")

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.024 / U:31.648 seconds]