SubjectRe: Fwd: Patch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:55:23 +0000, Russell King
<rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> wrote:
> There's a very good reason not to have a bridge driver at the moment -
> some PCI to PCI bridges need special drivers. Currently, as the device
> model stands today, we can only have ONE PCI to PCI bridge driver for
> all P2P bridges, which is bad news if you need a specific driver for,
> eg, a mobility docking station P2P bridge.

There is no requirement that the bridge driver be generic code. I
agree that it is simpler but there is nothing stopping a "generic"
driver from just having PCI IDs for all of the existing bridges built
into it and then load it like a normal driver. Loading all of the
bridge PCI IDs into the "generic" driver gets rid of the need for
driver priorities.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com