    SubjectRe: Extend clear_page by an order parameter
    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > Christoph Lameter <> wrote:
    > >
    > > The zeroing of a page of a arbitrary order in page_alloc.c and in hugetlb.c may benefit from a
    > > clear_page that is capable of zeroing multiple pages at once (and scrubd
    > > too but that is now an independent patch). The following patch extends
    > > clear_page with a second parameter specifying the order of the page to be zeroed to allow an
    > > efficient zeroing of pages. Hope I caught everything....
    > >
    > Sorry, I take it back. As Paul says:
    > : Wouldn't it be nicer to call the version that takes the order
    > : parameter "clear_pages" and then define clear_page(p) as
    > : clear_pages(p, 0) ?

    > It would make the patch considerably smaller, and our naming is all over
    > the place anyway...

    Sounds good. Note though that this just means renaming clear_page to
    clear_pages for all arches which would increase the patch size for the
    arch specific section.

    > I'd have thought that we'd want to make the new clear_pages() handle
    > highmem pages too, if only from a regularity POV. x86 hugetlbpages could
    > use it then, if someone thinks up a fast page-clearer.

    That would get us back to code duplication. We would have a clear_page (no
    highmem support) and a clear_pages (supporting highmem). Then it may
    also be better to pass the page struct to clear_pages instead of a memory address.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:18.000 seconds]