SubjectSystem beeper - no sound from mobo's own speaker
Date
Hi,

I seem to have a problem that, in that when I am using the kernel supplied
with Mandrake 10.0 and 10.1 and also fedora 3, there seems to be a distinct
lack of beeps coming from the system, once it is up and running. I am NOT
talking about sounds that might be coming from any sound card that might be
connected to the system, but the plain old speaker that sits in the PC case.

This, to my mind, is not very usefull for a server or a laptop that might
generate system beeps, ie inserting a wifi card for instance on a laptop.

As I'm running Mandrake I have posted this to them, but as of yet I have had
no responce or reaction. I did do a search and I found at least one user of
Redhat reporting the same sort of problem, so I am guessing that it's not a
problem that is of Mandrakes doing, ie they forgot to include it in the
kernel that they bult for their distribution.

I have installed the latest kernel from fedora 2.6.10, but that didn't change
things.

Please let me know if I have posted something that is a known problem, and
I'll shut up and wait for a new kernel to be release that has this fixed. I
cannot beleive that this has been missed in testing, but at the same time I
have no beeps at all from any of the 3 machines that I have tested and it has
been reported to me, by a friend that is running Mandrake 10.1, he is running
different hardware, and can confirm that it was working before the upgrade.
The only common thing before we changed as that we were both running 2.4
kernels.

I can supply details of hardware if wanted.

--
O o
_\_ o

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.038 / U:0.544 seconds]