    SubjectRe: User space out of memory approach
    Hi Andrew,

    I have another question. You included an oom_adj entry in /proc for
    each process. This was the approach you used in order to allow someone
    or something to interfere the ranking algorithm from userland, right?
    So if i have an another ranking algorithm in user space, I can use it
    to complement the kernel decision as necessary. Was it your idea?

    BR,

    Mauricio Lin.

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:27:11 -0400, Mauricio Lin <mauriciolin@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi Andrea,
    >
    > I applied your patch and I am checking your code. It is really a very
    > interesting work. I have a question about the function
    > __set_current_state(TASK_INTERRUPTIBLE) you put in out_of_memory
    > function. Do not you think it would be better put set_current_state
    > instead of __set_current_state function? AFAIK the set_current_state
    > function is more feasible for SMP systems, right?
    >
    > BR,
    >
    > Mauricio Lin.
    >

    > On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:38:37 +0100, Andrea Arcangeli <andrea@suse.de> wrote:
    > > On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 01:35:47AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > > > confirmed fix for this available. It was posted more than once.
    > >
    > > I posted 6 patches (1/4,2/4,3/4,4/4,5/4,6/4), they should be all
    > > applied to mainline, they're self contained. They add the userspace
    > > ratings too.
    > >
    > > Those patches fixes a longstanding PF_MEMDIE race too and they optimize
    > > used_math as well.
    > >
    > > I'm running with all 6 patches applied with an uptime of 6 days on SMP
    > > and no problems at all. They're all 6 patches applied to the kotd too
    > > (plus the other bits posted on l-k as well for the write throttling,
    > > just one bit is still missing but I'll add it soon):
    > >
    > > ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/i386/HEAD

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.023 / U:0.540 seconds]