    SubjectRe: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
    On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 09:56:50PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

    > Okay, so the right solution is probably something more like
    >
    > while umount /mnt; do
    > fuser -km -TERM /mnt
    > sleep 1
    > fuser -km /mnt
    > done
    >
    > Not sure how many command line users can do this... Perhaps including
    > fumount script doing this is good idea?

    A command line user only needs to know about fuser, and in the unlikely
    case if the race condition Oliver thought of occurs he'll note since
    umount will give an error message.

    I'd even say the more common case is to use fuser to get the PIDs of the
    processes and manually check which they are - e.g. you might not want to
    kill your OpenOffice with many open documents only because you'd
    forgotten that it still has one document open on the file system you are
    trying to remove.

    > Pavel

    cu
    Adrian