    SubjectRe: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
    Andy Lutomirski wrote:

    > I have this complaint too, and MNT_DETACH doesn't really do it.
    > Sometimes I want to "unmount cleanly, damnit, and I don't care if
    > applications that are currently accessing it lose data." Windows can do
    > this, and it's _useful_.

    I have an additional feature request: The umount -l will currently not work
    for unmounting the cwd of something like the midnight commander without
    closing it. On the other hand, rmdiring the cwd of running application
    works just fine.

    Maybe it's possible to extend the semantics of umount -l to change all
    cwds under that mountpoint to be deleted directories which will no
    longer cause the mountpoint to be busy (e.g. by redirecting them to a
    special inode on initramfs). Most applications can cope with that (if
    not, they're buggy), and it will do 90% of the usural cases while still
    avoiding data loss.

    on boot:

    on umount -l:
    if mountpoints - mountpoints_in_lazy_unmount_state == 0
    then for each process
    do if process->cwd->device == umount_device
    then process->fchdir(deleted_dir_fd)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:33.628 seconds]