    SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
    For me, as someone who very rarely actually changes any code in
    the kernel, I have always found the stable series useful for
    two reasons:

    1) It encourages me to test the kernel; if I have a kernel
    that is generally thought to be stable then I will try it on
    my home machine and report problems - this lets the kernel
    get tested on a wide range of hardware and situations; if there
    is no kernel that is liable to be stable changes will get much
    less testing on a smaller range of hardware.

    2) If I have a bug in a vendor kernel everyone just tells
    me to go and speak to the vendor - so at least having a stable
    base to go back to can let me report a bug that isn't due
    to any vendors patches.

    3) In some cases the commercial vendors don't seem to release
    source to some of the kernels except to people who have bought
    the packages, so those vendor kernel fixes aren't 'publically'

    I think (1) is very important - getting large numbers of people
    to test OSS is its greatest asset.

    / Dr. David Alan Gilbert | Running GNU/Linux on Alpha,68K| Happy \
    \ gro.gilbert @ | MIPS,x86,ARM,SPARC,PPC & HPPA | In Hex /

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.022 / U:7.184 seconds]