SubjectRe: kbuild: Implicit dependence on the C compiler
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Bodo Eggert wrote:

> Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:
>
>> 1) Unconditionally execute make install assuming vmlinux is up-to-date.
>> make modules_install run unconditionally, so this is already know
>> practice
>
> (o) Vote for this.
>
> IMO, a make install should NEVER run the compiler.
>
> The reason is: I'm deliberaely compiling as a user on the fastest system
> before I copy or mount the FS to/on some other box and do a make install.
> The other box will be _very_ slow while compiling or missing some of the
> needed components (e.g. gcc).

You must never execute `make install` or `make modules_install` without
the explicit action of the operator! To do so could (will) result
in an un-bootable system. I can't imagine what somebody would be
thinking to propose an automatic install. Whoever proposed this
must have lots of time and little knowledge. They are going to
be reinstalling everything from the distribution CD as a hobby.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.063 / U:1.532 seconds]