SubjectRe: PCI patches not being reviewed
On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 08:29:08AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:21:26PM +0000, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > Yes, the PCI Express bridge driver is quite buggy.
>
> It was posted a number of times to lkml in December, and it was
> commented on by a few different people, and the patch went through a few
> different revisions. It also was in the -mm tree for awhile.

But since it didn't go to the linux-pci mailing list, I never saw it.
So I never reviewed it.

> > I also think it's the wrong approach to take -- weren't you working on
> > a generic way to have multiple drivers attach to the same device?
>
> That's what the patch allows to happen. I think it's the right
> approach, what do you think it should do?

Ah, I thought you were talking about something for the generic device
model. If you don't have that in mind, then a multiplexing driver is
probably the right way to do it.

> > That would certainly help; I'm not sure how anyone has time to read
> > linux-kernel. Here's a patch:
>
> Hm, in sleeping on it, I think I'll leave it, as it's worked out just
> fine for me for the past 2+ years I've been the PCI maintainer, this has
> been the first it has come up.

Well, no, I mentioned it to you before, you said you'd do something
about it, and nothing happened. Hence me now talking to you in public.

> But if it really annoys you, how about
> just adding another L: entry for it, so people can choose where they
> want to go?

That doesn't make much sense. Either you want things to be reviewed
or you don't. If you want them reviewed, you send them to linux-pci.
Why should it be any different from linux-scsi, linux-ide, netdev or
linux-mm?

> Oh, and you forgot the Signed-off-by: line :)

Do you remember what Signed-off-by is for?

Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.0

By making a contribution to this project, I certify that:

(a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
have the right to submit it under the open source license
indicated in the file; or

(b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source
license and I have the right under that license to submit that
work with modifications, whether created in whole or in part
by me, under the same open source license (unless I am
permitted to submit under a different license), as indicated
in the file; or

(c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other
person who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified
it.

What license is MAINTAINERS under?