    Subjectsecurity contact draft2 (was Re: security contact draft)
    * Alan Cox ( wrote:
    > On Sad, 2005-01-15 at 02:43, Chris Wright wrote:
    > > Guess it's an open question. Do you agree with these basics bits?
    > >
    > > - no guarantee
    > > - attempt to work with reporter
    > > - attempt to work with vendors
    > > - goal of timely release
    > > - retain final say
    > > - within immediate to few weeks
    > >
    > > Hard to put real time on it.
    > Its emphasising "release date set by linux-security not reporter" rather
    > than length - although length guidance is good.

    Minor changes to capture this.

    Linux kernel developers take security very seriously. As such, we'd
    like to know when a security bug is found so that it can be fixed and
    disclosed as quickly as possible. Please report security bugs to the
    Linux kernel security team.

    1) Contact

    The Linux kernel security team can be contacted by email at
    $CONTACTADR. This is a private list of security officers
    who will help verify the bug report and develop and release a fix.
    It is possible that the security team will bring in extra help from
    area maintainers to understand and fix the security vulnerability.

    It is preferred that mail sent to the security team is encrypted
    with $PUBKEY.

    As it is with any bug, the more information provided the easier it
    will be to diagnose and fix. Please review the procedure outlined in
    REPORTING-BUGS if you are unclear about what information is helpful.
    Any exploit code is very helpful and will not be released without
    consent from the reporter unless it has already been made public.

    2) Disclosure

    The goal of the Linux kernel security team is to work with the
    bug submitter to bug resolution as well as disclosure. We prefer
    to fully disclose the bug as soon as possible. It is reasonable to
    delay disclosure when the bug or the fix is not yet fully understood,
    the solution is not well-tested or for vendor coordination. However, we
    expect these delays to be short, measurable in days, not weeks or months.
    A disclosure date is negotiated by the security team working with the
    bug submitter as well as vendors. However, the kernel security team
    holds the final say when setting a disclosure date. The timeframe for
    disclosure is from immediate (esp. if it's already publically known)
    to a few weeks. As a basic default policy, we expect report date to
    disclosure date to be on the order of 7 days.

    3) Non-disclosure agreements

    The Linux kernel security team is not a formal body and therefore unable
    to enter any non-disclosure agreements.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.032 / U:2.468 seconds]