    SubjectRe: usb-storage on SMP?
    On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 08:01:23PM +0000, Paulo Marques wrote:
    > William Park wrote:

    > >>Generally, it is. Recently, I've written some stuff to a USB
    > >>pendrive (using 2.6.10-ac7 or -ac9).
    > >

    > >Same here with Abit VP6 dual-P3 and 2.6.10. It shows up as /dev/sda,
    > >and I can do anything that I would do with normal harddisk.
    > >
    > >But, I still can't boot from it. :/ I can now mount it as root
    > >filesystem, but I can't load the kernel from USB key drive.
    >
    > huh?? Who's mounting the root filesystem, then :) ?
    >
    > If you mean that you can't get the BIOS to load the kernel for you, and
    > you're loading the kernel from a floppy or something, you should know
    > that some BIOS are pretty selective about what they consider a valid
    > boot partition.

    Hee, hee... yes, for now I boot from floppy first, then mount /dev/sda1
    as root filesystem. I, of course, want to get rid of the floppy. My
    motherboard is Mercury PVCLE266M-L with VIA C3 Samuel 2 cpu integrated
    on the board. It has tons of boot device options, and detects my USB
    key (SanDisk Cruzer Mini 256MB) as "USB RMD-FDD" and not as some kind of
    harddisk. I think that's the problem: motherboard thinks it's floppy,
    and LILO thinks it's SCSI harddisk (/dev/sda).

    --
    William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>, Toronto, Canada
    Slackware Linux -- because I can type.