SubjectRe: usb-storage on SMP?
William Park wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 06:26:33PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>>On Monday, 17 of January 2005 18:17, Thomas Zehetbauer wrote:
>>>can anyone confirm that writing to usb-storage devices is working on SMP
>>Generally, it is. Recently, I've written some stuff to a USB pendrive (using
>>2.6.10-ac7 or -ac9).
> Same here with Abit VP6 dual-P3 and 2.6.10. It shows up as /dev/sda,
> and I can do anything that I would do with normal harddisk.
> But, I still can't boot from it. :/ I can now mount it as root
> filesystem, but I can't load the kernel from USB key drive.

huh?? Who's mounting the root filesystem, then :) ?

If you mean that you can't get the BIOS to load the kernel for you, and
you're loading the kernel from a floppy or something, you should know
that some BIOS are pretty selective about what they consider a valid
boot partition.

I recommend that you use fdisk to set up one partition as FAT16 type
(even if you use another filesystem later), and make the partition
active. You might need to write a proper MBR on the pen also (IIRC LILO
as an option to do this).

You might also need to pass a special "disk=/dev/sda bios=0x80" (or
something like that) option in your lilo.conf file, but that depends how
far in the boot process you're hanging.

Paulo Marques -

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.053 / U:4.760 seconds]