SubjectRe: changing local version requires full rebuild
On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:22:42PM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> Hi!
> Is it just me, or does changing the local version always require
> a full kernel rebuild?
>
> If so, I'd like to fix it, since I like copying
> my kernel source with --preserve and changing the
> local version, then going back to the old version in case of
> a crash.
> Its important to change the local version to force
> make install and make modules_install to put things in a separate
> directory.

Just tried it out here.
After cp -Ra only a limited part of the kernel rebuilds.
o oiu.c in ieee directory - because it dependson the shell script
o A number of drivers that include version.h
- This should be changed so local version does not affect
the reast of version.h.
o Other stuff that is always build if kernel has changed

Do you use "echo -mylocalver > localversion" to change the local version?
Sam

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.243 / U:0.040 seconds]