    SubjectRe: short read from /dev/urandom
    On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 08:54:54PM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
    > The /dev/urandom device is advertised as always returning the requested
    > number of bytes. Yet, it fails to do this under some situations.
    > Compile this

    Here's what random.c says:

    * The two other interfaces are two character devices /dev/random and
    * /dev/urandom. /dev/random is suitable for use when very high
    * quality randomness is desired (for example, for key generation or
    * one-time pads), as it will only return a maximum of the number of
    * bits of randomness (as estimated by the random number generator)
    * contained in the entropy pool.
    * The /dev/urandom device does not have this limit, and will return
    * as many bytes as are requested. As more and more random bytes are
    * requested without giving time for the entropy pool to recharge,
    * this will result in random numbers that are merely cryptographically
    * strong. For many applications, however, this is acceptable.

    _Neither_ case mentions signals and the "and will return as many bytes
    as requested" is clearly just a restatement of "does not have this
    limit". Whoever copied this comment to the manpage was a bit sloppy
    and dropped the first clause rather than the second:

    When read, /dev/urandom device will return as many bytes as are
    requested. As a result, if there is not sufficient entropy in
    the entropy pool...

    Meanwhile, read(2) says:

    It is not an error if this number is smaller than the number
    of bytes requested; this may happen for example because fewer
    bytes are actually available right now (maybe because we were
    close to end-of-file, or because we are reading from a pipe,
    or from a terminal), or because read() was interrupted by a

    So anyone doing a read() can expect a short read regardless of the fd
    and is quite clear that reads can be interrupted by signals. "It is
    not an error". Ever.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.022 / U:36.572 seconds]