SubjectCan I ask a smbfs question here?
Hello,

I am trying to use a W2K share from my laptop. This share is on Fat32
(not sure if it matters). So far I am able either to configure it so it
is mountable by non-root user or to configure it so it sees
international (russian) characters in filenames on this share. I am on
FC3 with the stock Samba (updated to samba-3.0.10-1.fc3). Here is what I
did:

To make the share user mountable I changed the owner of the mountpoint
to the regular user I am using, chmodded one of the binaries (sorry - do
not remember which one - found its name in one of FAQs) and specified
"users" option in the /etc/fstab for this share. After all these I am
able to mount this share as a regular user (owner of the mount point).
Unfortunately, it cannot see russian characters in the file names.

To make russian characters visible, I added the following options to the
/etc/fstab : codepage=cp866,iocharset=utf8. It works ONLY if I remove
users (or user) option for the same share.

1)
username=administrator,password=xxx,fmask=0666,codepage=cp866,iocharset=utf8

This line allows me to see russian filenames but I cannot mount it as a
regular user - only as root.

2)
username=administrator,password=xxx,fmask=0666,codepage=cp866,iocharset=utf8,users

I am getting the following message in /var/log/messages if I use the
second line:
Jan 9 15:24:09 NS kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option noexec
The share still mounts but the russian filenames are not visible
(russian letters are replaced with question marks ???).

Any ideas if it is possible to fix this? I can "sudo mount" all the time
but it does not sound right...

Thanks,
Nick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.040 / U:0.144 seconds]