    SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1
    Hi,

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

    > As you can see, most of this is already used in one way or another by
    > LTT. The only thing LTT doesn't use is the dynamic resizing, but as was
    > said earlier in this thread, some people actually want to have this.

    This doesn't mean everything has to be put into a single call. Several
    parameters can still be set after creation.

    > start_reserve, end_reserve, rchan_start_reserve:
    > Some subsystems, like LTT, need to be able to write some key
    > data at sub-buffer boundaries. This is to specify how much
    > space is required for said data.

    Why should a subsystem care about the details of the buffer management?
    You could move all this into the relay layer by making a relay channel
    an event channel. I know you want to save space, but having a magic
    event_struct_size array is not a good idea. If you have that much events,
    that a little more overhead causes problems, the tracing results won't be
    reliable anymore anyway.
    Simplicity and maintainability are far more important than saving a few
    bytes, the general case should be fast and simple, leave the complexity to
    the special cases.

    bye, Roman

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:390.976 seconds]