SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc1-mm1
Hi,

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> As you can see, most of this is already used in one way or another by
> LTT. The only thing LTT doesn't use is the dynamic resizing, but as was
> said earlier in this thread, some people actually want to have this.

This doesn't mean everything has to be put into a single call. Several
parameters can still be set after creation.

> start_reserve, end_reserve, rchan_start_reserve:
> Some subsystems, like LTT, need to be able to write some key
> data at sub-buffer boundaries. This is to specify how much
> space is required for said data.

Why should a subsystem care about the details of the buffer management?
You could move all this into the relay layer by making a relay channel
an event channel. I know you want to save space, but having a magic
event_struct_size array is not a good idea. If you have that much events,
that a little more overhead causes problems, the tracing results won't be
reliable anymore anyway.
Simplicity and maintainability are far more important than saving a few
bytes, the general case should be fast and simple, leave the complexity to
the special cases.

bye, Roman