    SubjectRe: [fuse-devel] Merging?
    El Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:49:35 +0100 Miklos Szeredi <> escribió:

    > So if any of you would like to support this motion, you can mail the
    > linux-kernel list and maybe Linus and Andrew, to generate a little
    > discussion on why (or why not) inclusion is a good idea.

    Personally I think it's cool for "desktops" and other reasons because:

    -It could replace gnome-vfs AND kioslaves by a more generic solution that works
    for all environments

    -You could implement several "not-performance-critical" filesystems (fat,
    isofs) with FUSE to avoid possible security issues. Give that nowadays
    usb sticks and cd/dvds are so common it'd be possible to modify a filesystem
    on purpose to crash the kernel if a bug were found in those filesytems. With
    FUSE that posibility decreases.

    -Since you can use other programming languages, I suposse it'd be easier for
    people to write support for weird filesystems.

    -Better for kernel (less code to maintain given a big number of filesystems)
    and less pressure for VFS developers when making big changes to the VFS.

    -Possibility to write stupid filesystems like "gmailfs".

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.030 / U:12.088 seconds]