SubjectRe: [fuse-devel] Merging?
El Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:49:35 +0100 Miklos Szeredi <miklos@szeredi.hu> escribió:

> So if any of you would like to support this motion, you can mail the
> linux-kernel list and maybe Linus and Andrew, to generate a little
> discussion on why (or why not) inclusion is a good idea.

Personally I think it's cool for "desktops" and other reasons because:

-It could replace gnome-vfs AND kioslaves by a more generic solution that works
for all environments

-You could implement several "not-performance-critical" filesystems (fat,
isofs) with FUSE to avoid possible security issues. Give that nowadays
usb sticks and cd/dvds are so common it'd be possible to modify a filesystem
on purpose to crash the kernel if a bug were found in those filesytems. With
FUSE that posibility decreases.

-Since you can use other programming languages, I suposse it'd be easier for
people to write support for weird filesystems.

-Better for kernel (less code to maintain given a big number of filesystems)
and less pressure for VFS developers when making big changes to the VFS.

-Possibility to write stupid filesystems like "gmailfs".