SubjectRe: thoughts on kernel security issues
From
Linus Torvalds said:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
>>
>> That sounds a bit over-the-top to me, sorry.
>
> Maybe a bit pointed, but the question is: would a user perhaps want to
> know about a security fix a month earlier (knowing that bad people might
> guess at it too), or want the security fix a month later (knowing that the
> bad guys may well have known about the problem all the time _anyway_)?
>
> Being public is different from being known about. If vendor-sec knows
> about it, I don't find it at all unbelievable that some spam-virus writer
> might know about it too.
>
>> All of these are of exactly the same severity as the rlimit bug,
>> and nobody cares, nobody is hurt.
>
> The fact is, 99% of the time, nobody really does care.
>
>> The fuss over the rlimit problem occurred simply because some external
>> organisation chose to make a fuss over it.
>
> I agree. And if i thad been out in the open all the time, the fuss simply
> would not have been there.
>
> I'm a big believer in _total_ openness. Accept the fact that bugs will
> happen. Be open about them, and fix them as soon as possible. None of this
> cloak-and-dagger stuff.
>
> Linus

Devils-advocate: Who is on the vendor-sec list? as I have started
devloping a roll your own linux dsitro (as 100s of other have as well) who
decides who is "approved" to hear about the fixes beforehand-what makes
SuSE, and Red Hat more deserving than Bonzai) User Base?
inhouse-developrs?. I agree with Linus-san openness is best all around.
the rest is mostly politics.

--
David Blomberg
dblomber@davelinux.com