    SubjectRe: thoughts on kernel security issues
    On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:00:52PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
    > >
    > > How you feel about having short fixed time embargo's (lets say, 3 or 4 days) ?
    >
    > Please realize that I don't have any problem with a short-term embargo per
    > se, what I have problems with is the _politics_ that it causes. For
    > example, I do _not_ want this to become a
    >
    > "vendor-sec got the information five weeks ago, and decided to embargo
    > until day X, and then because they knew of the 4-day policy of the
    > kernel security list, they released it to the kernel security list on
    > day X-4"
    >
    > See? That is playing politics with a security list. That's the part I
    > don't want to have anything to do with. If somebody did that to me, I'd
    > feel pissed off like hell, and I'd say "screw them".

    An important thing is that Mr. Torvalds agrees with the embargo, which you never
    did, you always applied corrections for security bugs without being concerned
    about a disclosure date agreement (which you have your own reasons and arguments
    for, OK).

    That makes vendorsec/etc uncomfortable submitting the information to you.

    Great to hear you think differently and is willing to agree on a reasonable
    embargo period.

    The kernel security list must be higher in hierarchy than vendorsec.

    Any information sent to vendorsec must be sent immediately for the kernel
    security list and discussed there.

    I'm sure one week is enough for vendors to prepare updates, and I'm sure they
    will be fine with it.

    > But in the absense of politics, I'd _happily_ have a self-imposed embargo
    > that is limited to some reasonable timeframe (and "reasonable" is
    > definitely counted in days, not weeks. And absolutely _not_ in months,
    > like apparently sometimes happens on vendor-sec).

    We all agree there is no good reason to embargo a kernel bug for more than
    one week, given that the fix is known and settled.

    > So if the embargo time starts ticking from _first_ report, I'd personally
    > be perfectly happy with a policy of, say "5 working days" (aka one week),
    > or until it was made public somewhere else.
    >

    > IOW, if it was released on vendor-sec first, vendor-sec could _not_ then
    > try to time the technical list (unless they do so in a very timely manner
    > indeed).
    >
    > I'm not saying that we'd _have_ to go public after five days. I'm saying
    > that after that, there would be nothing holding it back (but maybe the
    > technical discussion on how to _fix_ it is still on-going, and that might
    > make people just not announce it until they're ready).

    Wonderful.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:5.175 / U:0.108 seconds]