    SubjectRe: thoughts on kernel security issues

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > So if the embargo time starts ticking from _first_ report, I'd personally
    > be perfectly happy with a policy of, say "5 working days" (aka one week),
    > or until it was made public somewhere else.

    Btw, the only thing I care about is the embargo on the _fix_.

    If a bug reporter is a security house, and wants to put a longer embargo
    on announcing the bug itself, or on some other aspect of the issue (ie
    known exploits etc), and wants to make sure that they get the credit and
    they get to be the first ones to announce the problem, that's fine by me.

    The only thing I really care about is that we can serve the people who
    depend on us by giving them source code that is as bug-free and secure as
    we can make it. If that means that we should make the changelogs be a bit
    less verbose because we don't want to steal the thunder from the people
    who found the problem, that's fine.

    One of the problems with the embargo thing has been exactly the fact that
    people couldn't even find bugs (or just uglinesses) in the fixes, because
    they were kept under wraps until the "proper date".

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:1.516 seconds]