    SubjectRe: page table lock patch V15 [0/7]: overview
    Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > Changes from V14->V15 of this patch:

    Hi,

    I wonder what everyone thinks about moving forward with these patches?
    Has it been decided that they'll be merged soon? Christoph has been
    working fairly hard on them, but there hasn't been a lot of feedback.

    And for those few people who have looked at my patches for page table
    lock removal, is there is any preference to one implementation or the
    other?

    It is probably fair to say that my patches are more comprehensive
    (in terms of ptl removal, ie. the complete removal**), and can allow
    architectures to be more flexible in their page table synchronisation
    methods.

    However, Christoph's are simpler and probably more widely tested and
    reviewed at this stage, and more polished. Christoph's implementation
    probably also covers the most pressing performance cases.

    On the other hand, my patches *do* allow for the use of a spin-locked
    synchronisation implementation, which is probably closer to the
    current code than Christoph's spin-locked pte_cmpxchg fallback in
    terms of changes to locking semantics.

    [** Aside, I didn't see a very significant improvement in mm/rmap.c
    functions from ptl removal. Mostly I think due to contention on
    mapping->i_mmap_lock (I didn't test anonymous pages, they may have
    a better yield)]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.021 / U:60.564 seconds]