    SubjectRe: clean way to support >32bit addr on 32bit CPU

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
    > Speaking of fall-out, or more like trickle-down,
    > I'm almost done with a patch to make PCMCIA resources use
    > unsigned long instead of u_int or u_short for IO address:

    Ahh, yes. That's required on pretty much all platforms except x86 and

    Of course, since ARM and MIPS already do the "u_int" thing, and not a
    whole lot of other architectures do PCMCIA, I guess it doesn't matter
    _that_ much. Cardbus stuff should get it right regardless.

    > typedef unsigned long ioaddr_t;
    > and then include/pcmcia/cs.c needs some changes in use of
    > ioaddr_t, along with drivers (printk formats).
    > Does that sound OK?
    > I guess that it would become unsigned long long (or u64)
    > with this proposal?

    I don't think ioaddr_t needs to match resources. None of the IO accessor
    functions take "u64"s anyway - and aren't likely to do so in the future
    either - so "unsigned long" should be good enough.

    Having u64 for resource handling is mainly an issue for RAM and
    memory-mapped IO (right now the 32-bit limit means that we throw away
    information about stuff above the 4GB mark from the e820 interfaces on
    x86, for example - that _happens_ to work because we never see anything
    but RAM there anyway, but it means that /proc/iomem doesn't show all of
    the system RAM, and it does mean that our resource management doesn't
    actually handle 64-bit addresses correctly.

    See drivers/pci/probe.c for the result:

    "PCI: Unable to handle 64-bit address for device xxxx"

    (and I do not actually think this has _ever_ happened in real life, which
    makes me suspect that Windows doesn't handle them either - but it
    inevitably will happen some day).

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.048 / U:0.108 seconds]